Movement to Music: World Dance for Seniors
* This program provides a combination of physical exercise, music, and mental aerobics all in one activity.
* Movement itself stimulates blood flow and improved oxygen flow throughout the body. The brain especially requires greater levels of oxygen-rich blood.
* Dancing helps to reduce stress and increase the sense of well-being.
* Dances are adapted for low levels of mobility. A class can be conducted entirely seated- even square dancing! Other dances are made up of calm 'walking' dances.
* Seniors living alone or even in institutions are at risk of isolation. These dance classes connect people together with a sense of community.
* Music itself can be stimulating for people of all ages. It can trigger memories of happy times, vibrant, energetic times dancing in the past.
* All dances are done to traditional music of the world.
* Dance class series can be developed with a focus such as:
* Read here this article from the AARP, the American Association of Retired Persons, on the health benefits of dance.
* Read here an article on how dancing makes us smarter, wards of dementia, sharpening mental acuity in aging.
* Read here and here articles on how dance retrains the brain of people with Parkinson's.
(Malheureusement, je ne suis pas bilingue; je le regrette!; mais je peux dire quelques instructions en francais ....
Testimonial for Susan Barker, Folk Dance Instructor:
“I first met Susan when I joined one of her classes with a resident of mine who has middle stage dementia and wanted to dance. I must admit, I ended up having just as much fun as she did! Susan is enthusiastic, outgoing, fun and a fabulous instructor. Her music is so varied, with dances from around the world and steps that we all catch onto right away. Our relationship continued when she brought “Chair Folk Dance” to our Dementia Day Away Program - our clients loved the music, were able to follow the steps very well and everyone had a fun filled time! In fact, in both experiences I had dancing with seniors, it brought back so many memories and inspired lots of reminiscing! One of our clients, who was a dance instructor himself, even demonstrated a Russian Folk dance while holding onto two chairs to kick up his legs!! Any organization or agency would benefit greatly by adding Susan and her folk dance classes to their program!
Day Away Program
Abbotsford at The Glebe